Tax Fraud Solicitors
Facing a criminal investigation into your tax affairs can be a daunting experience. At Brett Wilson, our tax fraud solicitors guide clients through the process and work with them in trying to achieve the best possible outcome.
Listed in the Legal 500 as a leading firm in the field of Fraud and White Collar Crime, Brett Wilson LLP specialises in defending criminal allegations of tax fraud in London and across the country. Its team is headed up by Nick Brett, who is ranked by Chambers and Partners as a leading individual in criminal litigation. Our fraud solicitors have extensive experience of defending high profile individuals in industry and professionals (including solicitors and accountants) against allegations of tax evasion in the criminal courts.
We advise and represent individuals accused of a range of criminal offences concerning their tax affairs. These include:-
- The fraudulent evasion of income tax
- Cheating the revenue
- Conspiracy to defraud
- Money laundering
- Fraud by misrepresentation
- False accounting
- Fraudulent conduct to obtain tax credits
- Fraudulent evasion of duty
- Fraudulent evasion of VAT
- Fraudulent trading
- False statement for VAT purposes
- Taking steps with a view to fraudulently evade exercise duty
Criminal allegations of tax evasion will typically involve an element of dishonesty. Allegations may relate to the deliberate submission of false information, fraudulent schemes (for instance 'missing trader'/MTIC/carousel frauds) or arrangements which purport to limit/mitigate tax liability, but which HMRC view as vehicles for channelling undeclared income. Lines are often blurred and knowledge or belief will always be crucial factors.
We work with leading barristers and, where appropriate, forensic accountants and other experts to prepare and present your defence in the best way possible.
Our bespoke service include:-
- Client representation in connection with investigations conducted by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs ("HMRC), the Serious Fraud Office (“SFO”), National Crime Agency (“NCA”) and the City of London Police.
- Advice and representation in proceedings for tax evasion-related offences.
- In-depth analysis and scrutiny of the evidence relied upon by prosecuting agencies.
- A no-nonsense, jargon-free explanation of the legal issues in your case.
- Advice on plea.
- Top counsel with proven and appropriate experience.
- Applications to dismiss charges where appropriate.
- Reliable advice and expert representation in applications for bail including the removal or variation of conditions.
- Expert advice on matters ancillary to any prosecution including abuse of process.
- Advice and representation in relation to any restraint order obtained by the Crown.
- The proofing of defence witnesses.
- The preparation of documentary and other evidence in support of your defence case.
- The provision of quality expert witnesses to assist with the presentation of forensic and medical evidence.
- An experienced team who will conduct negotiated settlements with prosecuting authorities where appropriate.
- Advice on prospective appeals.
A preliminary consultation will help you understand the legal and practical issues relating to your case and allow you to make an informed decision about what action to take.