Criminal law, civil litigation and regulatory/disciplinary
Nick is a partner with extensive experience encompassing all aspects of the criminal law and related civil litigation. He is particularly noted for his serious fraud and asset recovery practice (in both civil and criminal jurisdictions), but he also has a thriving reputation in the regulatory/disciplinary sector representing professional people including lawyers, accountants and medical practitioners.
Nick has successfully defended numerous allegations of rape and other sexual offences both current and historic. His recent portfolio of major fraud cases is substantial including the largest ever crypto-currency prosecution; the SFO led dual prosecution of a corporate for corruption, the now notorious FCA led Operation Cotton case and a prosecution involving senior police officers arising out of a failed property investment scheme.
Nick is frequently instructed to defend regulatory investigations conducted by the SRA, the GMC, the GDC, the HSE, the Insolvency Service and Trading Standards (including allegations of copyright infringement). He has specialist expertise in the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 and investigations by the Financial Conduct Authority for alleged breaches of the Act (including market conduct offences and collective investment schemes). Nick regularly advises clients subject to confiscation and civil asset recovery proceedings including both Part 6 tax investigations and related claims. His wide experience in this field extends to cash detention and forfeiture proceedings and he has successfully defended numerous cases of this nature at both first instance and appeal. He is a frequent contributor to legal resource outlets and journals including the Gazette,LexisNexis, LexisLibrary and Lexis PSL.
If you would like to contact Nick directly, please send him an email.
Notable cases include:
- R v K  – largest ever crypto currency prosecution
- A v H  – High court claim in gangamaster litigation
- R v E  – fraud on the Montessori charity
- BPL v M  – £20m High Court enforcement action
- SFO v FXB Ltd  – dual corruption prosecution
- R v W  – Fraud by abuse of position against freeholder
- SFO v IKS  – SFO Claim for civil recovery order
- F v F  – High Court Freezing Order litigation
- DWP v N  – largest ever DWP prosecution for fraud.
- GDC v R  – successful defence of disciplinary proceedings brought by GDC
- R v S  – fraud allegations from failed property investment scheme stayed for abuse of process.
- NCA v KS  EWCA 1234 – Acted for appellant in case where Court of Appeal decided that civil recovery orders subject to ECHR A1P1 proportionality principle.
- SFO v R  – asserting third party interest in assets subject to confiscation
- R v M  – acted for lead defendant in £8m fraud against Barclays: “peanut tycoon” fraud case
- R v C  – acting for lead defendant in ‘Operation Cotton’ case. First ever prosecution by Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)
- R v P  – successful defence in conspiracy to import and supply cocaine
Meticulous and dedicated
A genuine specialist in financial crime and fraud
The sort of solicitor that anyone would be lucky to have in their corner
Fearless and hardworking
Very tactically astute
Knows his cases inside out
Bright and capable