"A genuine specialist in financial crime and fraud" with "total commitment to his clients. The sort of solicitor that anyone would be lucky to have in their corner." - Chambers and Partners 2018
“An outstanding criminal defence solicitor” – Legal 500 2017
"Great tactician" - Chambers 2017
"Fearless and hardworking" - Legal 500 2016
"Very tactically astute" - Chambers 2016
"Knows his cases inside out" - Chambers 2015
"Meticulous and dedicated" - Legal 500 2014
“Bright and capable” - Chambers 2014
Nick is a partner with extensive experience encompassing all aspects of the criminal law and related civil litigation. He is particularly noted for his serious fraud and asset recovery practice (in both civil and criminal jurisdictions), but he also has a thriving reputation in the regulatory/disciplinary sector representing professional people including lawyers, accountants and medical practitioners.
Nick has successfully defended numerous allegations of rape and other sexual offences both current and historic. His recent portfolio of major fraud cases is substantial including the lead defendant in the now notorious Operation Cotton trial; the lead defendant in a conspiracy to defraud Barclays Bank PLC of £9m and a prosecution involving senior police officers arising out of a failed property investment scheme.
Nick is frequently instructed to defend regulatory investigations conducted by the SRA, the GMC, the GDC, the HSE, the Insolvency Service and Trading Standards (including allegations of copyright infringement). He has specialist expertise in the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 and investigations by the Financial Conduct Authority for alleged breaches of the Act (including market conduct offences and collective investment schemes). Nick regularly advises clients subject to confiscation and civil asset recovery proceedings including both Part 6 tax investigations and related claims. His wide experience in this field extends to cash detention and forfeiture proceedings and he has successfully defended numerous cases of this nature at both first instance and appeal. He is a frequent contributor to legal resource outlets and journals including LexisNexis LexisLibrary and Lexis PSL.
Notable recent cases include:
- DWP v N  – largest ever DWP prosecution for fraud.
- R v C  – successful defence in rape trial.
- GDC v R  – successful defence of disciplinary proceedings brought by GDC
- R v S  – fraud allegations from failed property investment scheme stayed for abuse of process.
- NCA v KS  EWCA 1234 – Acted for appellant in case where Court of Appeal decided that civil recovery orders subject to ECHR A1P1 proportionality principle.
- SFO v R  – asserting third party interest in assets subject to confiscation
- R v M  – acted for lead defendant in £8m fraud against Barclays: “peanut tycoon” fraud case
- R v C  – acting for lead defendant in ‘Operation Cotton’ case. First ever prosecution by Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)
- R v P  – successful defence in conspiracy to import and supply cocaine
If you would like to contact Nick directly, please send him an email.